View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Help me understand the deep back formation on short yardage?

[ QUOTE ]
You're giving the RB time to get a running start and time for holes to open up that way he can just keep forward momentum and hit the first hole he sees .

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Jack. I know the pros and cons of the I formation (single or double). I doubt these plays are set up for the RB to "hit the first hole he sees." It's probably a set play like an off tackle run with the option of going wide if the hole is plugged. Or, it could be a fullback teaming with a pulling gaurd (same concept - one hole). Either way, the middle is too cluttered to cut back to, so it's run to the set hole or cut wide. If the RB has to cut east-west in short yardage before cutting upfield this is very low % play because of the type of defensive formation it will face.....anyway , back to my point..

......I'm just not seeing handing off 4 to 5 yards back of the line of scrimmage as +EV in these circumstances. After all, nobody is looking for a homerun on the plays I have described. (though the longest runs can come from these plays).

Perhaps it's being used more often when the coaches feel their O-line is not matching up well against the D to get the surge/push/block required for a 2 foot or 1 yard gain??? Perhaps the coach is not comfortable with tighter fullback formation options (dive left/dive right)?? I'm not sure??