View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Bible Club: Genesis

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if you just read it as myths from an ancient culture, it's a lot of fun. Almost all the myths have elements of these absurdities and inconsistencies, and it's just something to smile at if you take it in context. It's a bit disturbing to me that some people take this stuff as literal truth or the word of God, but other than that it's great.

Also regarding the character of God, you'll notice that he's far from the pure omni3 image presented nowadays. That's a common theme through the OT. Not only is he presented as anything but all-powerful and all-knowing, but he acts like a character in a story - he has feelings, can be convinced of things, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also got that impression. I like the idea of God walking around and talking to people, or appearing as 3 men, etc. I actually really liked the part where Abraham was convincing God not to destroy S&G. In a sense though, it seemed more like God was using a sort of Socratic method. I don't think he was really "being convinced" by any of the people, just more interested in what they were thinking. It made it seem to me that God was generally fascinated by the minds of humans. Like a father being proud of a profound thought from his children.

[ QUOTE ]
Moreover there are lots of passages that seem to imply that God isn't the only God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange, I didn't get that idea.

~M^2