View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Help my horse (and me)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(For those of you who are curious, I gave up online poker last spring. The video game + poker addiction aspect was interfering with sleep -- I couldn't sleep well after playing -- so I quit. And for those of you who have to hear it, yes, I won a lot and still could easily.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i'm curious what level did you beat and for how many PTbb/100?

You're obviously a respected poster and now author, its just that i've never heard of anyone quitting poker 'cold turkey' while beating big games for 'a lot.'

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is, winning players "quit" all the time. To start businesses, write books, go to grad school, become traders on wall street, or just because they cannot stand poker anymore because it bores them. Dunno which is Matt's excuse [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought matt was a doctor and budding real estate mogul, so absolutely it would make sense for him to play less as other avenues increase in profitability. Its just the 'quit completely' part i found odd. I figured maybe like El D, he ran into tough times at bigger games, got frustrated, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beat all levels I played save for the 2+2 drinkfests and 50/100, which I played once heads-up. Keep in mind that the games have gotten a lot bigger in the past several months. Mostly I played 6-max 5-10 when that was the biggest 6-max on Party. I beat the living [censored] out of it. After the dust settled, I was the biggest winner in my PT database over all my accounts for players with 10K or more hands save for Toothpicky who had 12K or 14K hands and beat me by some huge figure like $0.80/hand. I didn't datamine, so that's stats of players playing me. I then beat up shorthanded 10-20, but not for nearly as much PT/100 as people had started to figure out 6-max and the better players rose, and was down to maybe 5 hours a week online on a few different sites.

Poker is recreation for me. The online money is not compelling enough to justify the time and side effects even though the money's good. I did not stop poker, just stopped playing online. The real reason was it got boring and made it hard for me to sleep. I had a job and didn't need another one. So once it became non-entertaining and was costing me sleep, I made a life decision and quit online. I still play live - a fair amount - and mostly 5/10 because that's what we have here.

For those who do not know, I am a full-time doctor, have a family, and do some real estate investing, and so have limited free time.

Matt