View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Help my horse (and me)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(For those of you who are curious, I gave up online poker last spring. The video game + poker addiction aspect was interfering with sleep -- I couldn't sleep well after playing -- so I quit. And for those of you who have to hear it, yes, I won a lot and still could easily.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i'm curious what level did you beat and for how many PTbb/100?

You're obviously a respected poster and now author, its just that i've never heard of anyone quitting poker 'cold turkey' while beating big games for 'a lot.'

[/ QUOTE ]

You assume he just quit and lays around his house doing nothing, which isn't what he said.

Diablo, for example, was a winning 50/100 player who quit to go into venture capitalism. More accurately, he invested his bankroll in founding a business, after which he no longer had the time/roll to play the big game.

Now I only played $1/$2, but I played it pretty heavily, and I've "quit" as well -- or, again, more accurately, I cashed out about 30k to pay for this "MBA" thing that will probably end up dwarfing my poker winnings, and now I've got like $500 left to play with online, but no time, thanks to that grad school thing. And little inclination to play the games I am rolled for (can't muster the emotion to grind 25NL in the 4 hours/week I have time to play, if that).

My point is, winning players "quit" all the time. To start businesses, write books, go to grad school, become traders on wall street, or just because they cannot stand poker anymore because it bores them. Dunno which is Matt's excuse [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]