View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Keeping pots small

You bring up a great point here. Small pots usually play in the range of suited connector where everyone missed a flop. 1st person to bet wins because people don't have enough money for the extra investment, in other words, it's not worth it. I feel this is where pot odds come in play. In a cash game if I'm not getting more than 3 - 1 on my money heads up, it's not worth it, unless you have half the deck for outs. Then it becomes a big pot instead of a small one.

If you want to keep the pots small, I feel you really have to study your oponents and sit in the rite seat. Meaning if you have a calling station to your left, he's going to start a chain reaction when he calls your bet. You can't control this in most games. But you can dictate it by keeping the pots small when the solid players are out. Also feel you would only want to keep the pots small when your playing agianst someone who is understacked or someone who is a blind defender.

This is why we love this NL game. There is so many points to the game that most people don't think about. The advantages you have from small pots? You can price youroponent out, the risk is slim, and the reward is decent.