View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: prove higher level thinking to me

[ QUOTE ]
Simple concept, but I often wonder if there are only two outcomes, 50-50 that either your call or bet is wrong or right, How deep do you have to go in thinking to shade the odds in your favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping someone would bring this up. Doesn't each one of these situations come down to a 50/50 chance that you'll be right or wrong? Your opponent either has something or he doesn't. Granted, you can take into consideration many other factors like if he pushed pre-flop, etc. But in the end, no matter how hard you think, I believe there's still a 50/50 chance.

Here's an example: most of the stuff I've read assumes that if someone pushes pre-flop they have either a high pair or A K, A Q, A J, etc. e.g. a "good" hand. Is this really the right assumption to make? How do you know this guy doesn't know that you'll think this and decide to make this move with low suited connectors. The flop comes 4s 5d 7h and this guy bets with his straight on the flop. You're holding pocket aces thinking he has maybe a pair with a high kicker. An Ace comes on the river and you bet; he calls. Js comes on the river, he bets and you're thinking he he's hit his Jacks with a A kicker. You raise, he raises and you call. He shows his straight and you lose.

Why not just exploit such knowledge like this? Why do people assume that since they're playing high limits someone wouldn't do this?