View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Huge odds V.S. reverse domination

[ QUOTE ]
Instead, just call preflop and plan to bet or raise to force
people to either fold or make really bad calls. Rasing AQ may gain a fraction of a bet if you are all-in, but waiting until the flop to get aggressive will gain far more, because now these clowns will STILL call with third pair, and they will not be getting the correct odds to call.

This is why raising with JJ UTG in that kind of game is a bad idea. Building a big pot gives overcards (even singleton overcards) better odds for calling.

Beat weak players by giving them more opportunity to make BAD plays. Save PFRing for hands that flop monsters. I'd
MUCH rather raise with 98s or 88 in this kind of game.

In the hand in question, had you simply limped, you could
just muck to that garbage flop with many limpers. Too many bad things can happen. I'd estimate your hand to have 3 outs, and worse than that, you will often catch good and still lose, which is a very bad thing for draws to 6 outs.

In unrasied pots, I think calling with overcards is almost always bad unless the board is VERY thin on draws OR I have some kind of backdoor equity, such as a 3 card nut flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is really bad advice. You should be raising with AQ and JJ in order to build a pot where you have an equity advantage. Sure, sometimes your raising will make some of their questionable plays better, but this is a small con compared to the huge pro of building big pots when you have the best of it. Bad players tend to call too much anyway, in my experience most don't have too much conception of pot odds.

Just my thoughts but I have a feeling this kind of thinking is pretty standard.

Also you have to call that flop. you are closing the betting getting 26 to 1. Sure a Q or an A may not be good but you never know. Don't fold a flop with two overs and a backdoor straight draw getting 26 to 1