View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America

Coming from the other side, I was a little brother. My mother must've signed me up for it when I was around nine. My first big brother was interesting, but in hindsight - he was just doing it to feel good about himself and possibly see if he wanted to have a kid with his wife. Eventually they did, and so was I was dumped.

The next big brother met me right around the beginning of middle school. A great guy who I'm now (I'm 25) still good friends with. I'm still not exactly sure why he decided to do the program. Turns out he doesn't really like kids all that much. Anyhow, I'm glad he did. It was a great experience for me and I'm sure it was good for me having a positive male role model when I was younger. He's definitely the one who's driven me towards charity which is something I don't think I really would have been interested in otherwise.

So really, just do it if you want to do it. You really already seem to be stepping out on the wrong foot. Saying you're doing it do better yourself probably means you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. Make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.