View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Please explain to me how renter\'s insurance is so cheap....

[ QUOTE ]
renter's insurance appears to be cheap for several reasons:

A: it usually only has to cover your in-home belongings like your furniture, clothes, electronics and so on; not your plumbing, your land, your expensive hardwood floors, etc... if you're an average renter, you probably have less than 10k in property to insure (peanuts)- compare that to an avarage new car, say, 30k+... (hold that thought).

B: Adjusters can form a very accurate idea of their risks. your low rate may be due to living in a relitivly safe neighborhood, in a building with a good history and/or effective security measures in place (secure entry, on-site manager, and so on). I have a friend that lived in a BAD part of town, in an OLD building with minimal security, and he paid $17/month for $20k in coverage- 3+x your rate but still cheap.

C: some renter's ins covers cars parked at the residence as well- yours does not have to, since you have auto ins already.

D: getting convicted for fraud is VERY expensive, and anybody willing to commit ins fraud probably doesn't really worry about the initial investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot:

E: They'll never pay out anything because insurance companies are bet-welchers who take monthly premium after monthly premium from pathetic customers who want coverage if something bad happens; then when something bad does happen, the cowardly bastards at the company worm their way out of the responsibility for paying for it, claiming that your policy never covered this. SCAM SCAM SCAM. That's how you spell insurance.

Bastards. My friend's apartment burned to the ground and she didn't get jack from her renter's insurance even though the policy covers fire damage.

There are very few things on the planet earth that get my blood boiling more than insurance companies. Take genocide, starvation, worldwide disease, global terrorism, and domestic abuse, and throw in insurance companies.

Watch Spike Lee's doc on Katrina (When the Levees Broke) for further evidence.