View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Warning beginning players, reading 2+2 can be bad for your health

This is a story of caution for beginning low-limit players that come to this forum.

So, I probably played PLO for a year and a half before I started to read and post to 2+2. I was a winning player (kept track by bankroll) at the 1c/2c and Party 10c/25c (PLO 25) game. I knew the basics, pot odds, etc but really had no advance moves and made several obvious errors in bet thinking on later streets.

I have pokertracker results from this stage (~4,800 hands):
15.5 BB/100 hands
69.9 stdev/100 hands

Then I started reading this forum and began playing PLO 50 and sometimes higher. I learned a lot, but I feel that a lot of what I learned from this group was more suitable for higher games. Without really paying attention to my results, I began playing a non-winning PLO 25 game.

During this time period (~18,000 hands), my stats
0.5 BB/100
64.3 STDEV/100

About a month ago, I was reviewing my total stats and realized that I couldn't really beat PLO 25 anymore. I set about to figure what I used to do and what I changed, etc. I essentially rediscovered how to beat PLO25 (post is available still) with some modifications. Here are those stats (~5,000 hands):

15.3 BB/100 (winrate)
45.1 STDEV/100

*In summary, if you are new to PLO and are playing at the lowest limits, save yourself some money while you better your game.