Thread: A7s
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 01:09 AM

Default Re: A7s

Im posting blind cuz im just to lazy too read this entire thread. If this guy is truly a lag, I think check/calling the turn and check/calling the river is your best play here, and I dont think its close. Firing Ace high into a very aggressive player on a board with two flushdraws and a million straight draws on it is just asking to get owned.

How can you get owned you may ask? Well paying two big bets from the turn on against a very aggressive player and not seeing a showdown with a hand that has some showdown value is getting owned cuz there is definitely some value here in showing this hand down. Instead of paying 2BB's on the turn and folding the river, check/call the turn and river unimproved and you'll pay the same price but always win when you actually do have the best hand.

This is a wonderful strategy against a lag. You have the nut flush draw, but dont look at your hand as a draw, look at the showdown value aspect of your hand. You have ace high, ace high takes a decent share of HU pots in these situations. Protect your equity in this pot by ignoring the drawing aspect of your hand and focusing on the made side of your hand. You have a marginal made hand that may or may not be best oop to a lag. What do you do with a marginal made hand in these situations? You check/call check/call. When you bet the turn you played your hand like a draw and that was your mistake. Also recognize that your turn bet is never folding a better hand, which is another reason why your turn bet is bad.

IMO, check/calling turns against very aggressive players with drawing hands that also have some showdown value is an extremely important strategy that one must have in their arsenal if they aspire to move up limits.

I'm glad you made this thread McGahee, becuz I think most good players are betting this turn way too often against the wrong opponents and its costing them money. Hopefully more than a few players will read my post and patch this leak up right away.