View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Car burning oil, what can I do?

Sometimes oil smoke looks bluish white. Pure white smoke is water in the combustion chamber, a sign of a bad head gasket. Whitish-grayish-blue is oil. And you're right about the valve guides/rings. Frankly, it's not a big deal and it will get worse over time. On my old mustang I literally kept a case of oil in the back because it was using about a quart every other day(about 250 miles).

With valve guides they tend to leak when the car has been sitting and will usually smoke the worst when you first start it. Also, when the valve guides are worn it tends to smoke when you are off the throttle and between shifts if your car is a manual. Rings tend to smoke worse under acceleration and also at constant throttle but not as pronounced.

You can put some Engine Restore in it. You can get it at any auto parts store. It actually worked for a while on my car but it only goes so far. Bottom line is get used to checking the oil often and keeping it topped off because it is not worth it to have it fixed.