View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 12:52 PM

Default Re: *** UFC 66 : Official prefight thread ***

Good article from MMAweekly with various people's opinions on the main event:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...8&zoneid=2

some highlights in my opinion:

Monte Cox:
“I haven’t seen anything in Tito’s last 4 fights that leads me to believe that he’s going to be able to get Chuck off his feet and do the damage on the ground that he needs to do. Of course anything can happen, Tito is a good athlete; he’s capable of beating anyone if he has the right day. But if he’s going to stand up with Chuck again then I don’t know how the results are going to be any different.”

Kit Cope:
“Tito vs. Chuck 2 goes like this…Tito fights a smart fight and Chuck fights like Chuck fights. I’m sure Chuck is thinking if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, however Tito is going to come at him with a different strategy. He’s going to hang back. He’s not going to rush forward because Chuck does not take a step forward. He never ever moves forward unless he’s got you hurt already. This is just a prediction, but I think Tito’s going to hang back and make Chuck move forward and if Chuck moves forward, he’s going to be in danger of being taken down. I think its going to be a very boring fight for the first two rounds and then look for Tito’s conditioning to take over right about round three and maybe even press Chuck against the cage. And once Tito’s got that body lock its over. I think it goes the distance though.”

Damon Martin (Host – MMAWeekly Radio):
“If you’ve listened to the radio show at all in the last few months it should be painfully clear that I think Tito Ortiz is going to win this fight. I honestly think we’ve seen the rebirth of the Huntington Beach Bad Boy and I believe it’s his time to shine. Chuck is a phenomenal fighter at the top of his game right now and he’s going to be very tough to beat, but something tells me that Tito is just rejuvenated with the thought of being champion again. He has to know that this is the only chance he has to beat Chuck because if he loses, it’s the last chapter in the Ortiz/Liddell feud. I think he’s going to fight smarter this time around and make Chuck come to him, press him against the cage in a clinch and then work for the takedown. Tito’s ground and pound has looked out of this world as of late and I think a few elbows to Chuck’s head will make everyone remember why he was once considered one of the best fighters in the world. I’m going with Tito in the 3rd round by TKO.”