View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 07:38 AM

Default Re: 1/2 bellagio hand with vanessa russo

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Schnieds, what about a turn 7 makes you more likely to raise then then turn 4? failing to see why...

[/ QUOTE ]

Gutshot. Against most opponents I can fold if it's a 7 turn and they 3 bet since I'm probably losing and with 2 outs. If it's a 4 and they 3-bet now it's a big pot and I probably have 6 outs so I'm stuck calling. I like raising on turns either when I'm probably winning but have almost no outs when behind (ie making it not too difficult to fold if 3-bet), or, if I'm probably winning but have a boatload of outs (10+) when in fact I'm behind (meaning if I get 3-bet, I'm not losing that much EV by having to put in more bets than I would've liked, to see a river). The 4-8 out-range is just the type of area where when you get 3-bet, it's mathematically right to call the 3-bet (including implied odds) but it really really sucks that you had to put in 3 bets to see a river that could've been seen for 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is an important concept - raising here would be pretty terrible in the hyperaggressive online 1/2+ games. you still have to call the 3-bet and fold the river but having to fold the river kinda sucks cuz the dude could be on some combo flush/straight draw or flush draw + pair and getting yourself played out of big pots just sucks a lot.

but given how passive live 1/2 is, it's definitely a lot less bad. getting 3-bet sucks and you have to call, but when you fold the river you know you're behind. and getting that raise in against crappy one pair hands or ace high or whatever is great. it's particularly awesome against an ace when you hit the gutshot on the river.