View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Couple newb questions about opening an online brokerage account.

Thanks for the advice and comments. Dazrif and gull I do agree a little with both of you. If I got into this I would definately do all of my homework and consult with my Dad's broker and research my picks daily. (And I probably wouldn't have more than 4-5). I currently have like 60k given to my Dad's broker which is a considerable portion of my net worth. How much harm can I do to myself if I take another 20k (bout 10% of my liquid) and gain some first hand experience , etc. I dunno, I just want to get into this seriously, not like throwing my money into a fund. I learn the best when it's first hand experience / my money at stake.

Also, here is a list of the books I have ordered on Amazon, anyone suggest any more or have any warnings about any of them?

1 "The Intelligent Investor Rev Ed. (Collins Business Essentials)"
Benjamin Graham

1 "How To Make Money In Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad, 3rd Edition"
William J. O'Neil

1 "The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing (Revised Edition)"
Jason Kelly;

1 "Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings"
Philip A. Fisher

1 "One Up On Wall Street : How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market"
Peter Lynch

1 "Jim Cramer's Real Money: Sane Investing in an Insane World"
James J. Cramer

Also I also wanted to ask about the different online trading sites, which ones I should check out...