View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Poker Qustion From Apak

I disagree with almost that entire list. We're talking about this tournament only, not long term. Also I don't necessarily agree that you will have less "moves" made on you because they'll know that you know how to fold; imo the WORST table image you can project against aggro players is that of someone who is worth bluffing against, particularly at the final table of a tournament where it's going to be correct to fold to pressure often.

I want them to think I'm a fish, and I don't really think it's that close. I have played live against players that are relatively close to me in skill level who think I'm a complete maniac (partly because I've cultivated that image on purpose in cash games).

-It allows you to bluff in situations where it's almost impossible that you have a legitimate hand; they think "Well he plays badly so he could have hit that card" and fold things they shouldn't
-They make -EV calls thinking they can make more money on later streets than they really can. They may also incorrectly pass on gambles because "I'll get him later"
-Losing some pots to you is that much more likely to put them on tilt (if stacks are still deep enough that it matters)

Of course even this is probably more argument than is necessary. If your opponents are good enough to be pros, they are (on balance) more likely to correctly use any information that they are given. With that in mind, why would you give them information on purpose? It's not like you're giving them misinformation (to do that you'd have to start playing badly!), so unmasking yourself is at best neutral, unless you can demonstrate that they will misuse the information they are given.

EDIT:

[ QUOTE ]
Having a bad player image with short stacks and big blinds would make you a target for blind stealing

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? I don't want to steal a bad player's big blind on the bubble; he might be stupid enough to call!