View Single Post
Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 PM

Default Re: 50k Challenge reopened with higher stakes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bluff,

Let's look at another point. Many women in African countries do not choose their spouse. Many married women are infected by their husbands. They do not have the choice to abstain from sex in these situations. Do you feel that use of condoms in these situations is morally wrong? Do you deny any of my points?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am only talking about catholics. You question doesn't apply to them because we don't have pre-arranged marriages. And it doesn't matter what the catholic church says re condoms or anything else for non-catholics, because they don't care what the church says.

P.S. I'm done with this thread. Hold me accountable.

[/ QUOTE ]

While Catholics in developed countries aren't betrothed, it is common for people to blend their local traditions with marriage. Women are treated as property in many of these areas, and I don't think that treating them this way violates the bible. What will you say when the Catholic church finally reverses its policy on condoms? (I think they almost certainly will. Although how many million more have to die before that happens is a good question.) Maybe if it was 500 years ago we would be arguing about the Earth orbiting around the Sun, or 200 years ago about slavery. If I were you I wouldn't be so stuck in the mud about the teachings of my church; They have a nasty tendency to be wrong.

I don't want to give the impression that I believe that the Catholic church is solely responsible for the spread of AIDS. Their is massive amounts of misinformation on the subject. However, the church is very good at spreading its ideas. When those ideas endanger lives, people must be held accountable. I think the condom issue is just another example that the church is a friend of poverty and enemy of the poor.

Here's a nice article I found.