Thread: A small vent.
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Re: A small vent.

[ QUOTE ]
For all of those who just said "go to a dermatologist", you should realize that there is no real cure for acne.

Because it's not really dangerous, almost no funding has ever been put into trying to cure it.

Almost nothing works. The only effective drug, accutane, as some have mentioned has some -severe- side effects. In addition, many people still have relapses.

I've been to at least 3 different dermatologists, and 2 flat out refused to prescribe it for me because of this. It even requires monthly blood tests to make sure your liver is functioning properly. Other side effects include hair loss, internal bleeding, and other much more serious problems.

Any comments about cleaning your face, proactiv, etc don't realize that if you have it bad, those things do almost nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took Accutane back in the early 90s and have no recollection of doing blood tests or anything that serious being associated with it. Maybe they know stuff about it now that they didn't then.

At any rate, I had horrendous, pizza-face, black plague style acne for about five years, tried all the other remedies like Retin-A, etc., and Accutane totally cleared me up in about two months. It is the only acne treatment I'm aware of that really works, and I would recommend it to OP despite the side-effects, since it sounds like his quality of life is really suffering.