View Single Post
Old 12-23-2006, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Am I Being Too Hard On People With My Willpower Experiment

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It seems that it's a matter of what it takes to motivate someone to change. Apparently a sufficient monetary incentive will often provide enough motivation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most often people are too dumb to realize the value of the knowledge or the great body.
So they fall into short term pleasures,harming their body and their future.(It's too hard to study or work out)
But that's what makes the difference between people,and going for short term pleasures will get them only mizerable existance.
The only choice they leave for themselfs is to marry for the same [censored] like them,make kids and live mizerable and in delusions all their lives.
Maybe that is what they deserve but that is also the way some kids are damaged for life from their parrents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either English isn't your first language, or you really, really should refrain from throwing stones of ANY KIND as it pertains to issues of human ability and dedication to ones own betterment.

That aside...

There are some very astute observations in this thread.
As someone who has struggled with weight my whole life (severely) I can attest to the fact that much of what has been said here is spot on. Back in 97, I set a land speed record for losing upwards of 130 pounds in about 7 months.
By 2005 (and after a severe back injury limiting mobility) every ounce of it is back on, plus another 50 to boot. My present body type is basically Doyle Brunson, pre-Gastric Bypass, although I’m working to get it back down to a more healthy range.

The thing is, back injury aside, I entirely agree with those who say this is purely an issue of willpower. The concept of human frailty as a rationalization for failures in adults is nothing more than an excuse; at times partially valid, but an ‘excuse’ none the less. Sort of how "environment" and "socioeconomics" are used to rationalize other certain behaviors amongst certain subsets of people, the frailty of any given adult shouldn't be cited as a reason for their own failures. Rather, ‘frailty’ should be viewed as a character defect and purged accordingly, instead as being codified as a ready-made excuse, there to trot out whenever anyone [censored] up. The reason I specify adults is that there is indeed an inherent degree of frailty in children and young adults. One would hope that by the time they grow up, it will be gone.

One thing the 1960's did to us as a nation was to eliminate the idea that individual character building and personal culpability. In our present age, we dismiss failings as "human frailty" and usually pass off the idea of culpability on some broad, marginally valid social theorem.