View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Re: ($16t) 99 utg lvl 3

Threads like this make me sometimes wonder if STTF puts too much emphasis on survival. There are 500 chips in the pot that in theory our hero probably has pretty close to a 50% stake in....maybe even more. That's 250-300 chips. His stack is only 1,400. So that 250-300 is about a 20% increase in his stack. We're always looking for small edges....and passing up a 20% increase to your stack is IMO a decent edge.

Sure, sometimes we're up against a bigger pair....but a lot of the time we're up against AK, AQ....or even a weak player who is pushing a smaller pair (think about how big a mistake not calling would be then). I know that if villain has AK we are flipping.....but there is a decent overlay right now....and wouldn't it be awfully arrogant of us to believe we are that good that we could pass up a theoretical 20% increase to our stack....for chips that are rightfully "ours"....just because it's "too early to flip".

I'm not even saying this is a call....because like I said above....I think it's hugely read dependent....but I'm just surprised that so many people are saying this is a fold.

For those who say it's a fold.....please address 1) the overlay that the pot is giving us......and 2) the fact that it would be a huge mistake for us to lay down our hand to a smaller pair. Because IMO....it's a smaller pair just as often as it's a larger pair....or AK, AQ.