View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 06:16 AM

Default starbird needs Kadorto now

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wizardry (anyone remember Wizardry?), 'cause I wrote it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You serious? That was a great game.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW. That's insane. I frickin' LOVED that game when I was a kid. Trip Report on writing that game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope he wrote it for real, and didn't "invent post-its," assuming that everyone forgot about the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's lying I say we Tiltowait him!

[/ QUOTE ]

If it gets bad I'll just Malor my ass outta Dodge...

Okay, so I might have exaggerated a little. Wizardry I ("Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord") was written by a couple of friends of mine in college. A handful of us were dedicated playtesters for the first two scenarios, and three of us were hired to write the third one (Legacy of Llylgamyn). This was more a matter of level, monster, and item design than actual coding because the underlying engine was already in place.

This is awesome. Who remembers a 25-year-old computer game?

It ran on the Apple ][, so it had to fit in 48K of memory. IIRC, Wizardry was the first home computer game to display a "three-dimensional" POV of the maze you were running around in. Remember those wireframe graphics? That stuff was pretty damn cool in 1981.

It's a kick to know that it hasn't been forgotten. Somewhere I still have the serial #1 floppy of Wizardry II ("Knight of Diamonds").