View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 02:31 PM

Default If a Christian can answer a few questions...

I have a Gregorian edition. I wonder if it's even worth reading. Is this version much different than the King James? It seems a hard read.

What strikes me so far, are the elaborate lineages and all the begots. To the point where I have to ask: How can this stuff be made up? Who would make it up? Why would it be made up? Has anyone followed these lineages throughout the entire bible and made sure they all agree and are without contradictions? If so, wow... These authors really did put some time and effort into all of this. As for the text so far...

I'm up to the point where Jesus is delivering parables. He has performed many miracles and has apparently given his disciples the same powers to heal, although I have not yet read where a disciple performs a miracle. On several occasions Jesus instructs people not to tell of what they saw. I don't get that. Does He want people to know about Him or not?

Jesus also seems to be changing (or adding), to the OT. Giving new, seemingly more strict rules and definitions on how people are supposed to live and act.

So far, I don't get the same sense of tyranny that some people do, except for the threat of hell for those who don't follow God's wishes. My main curiosity has always been the motivation behind the bible. Who was Matthew? Where is he getting his info?