View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 02:17 AM

Default Keeping frequently losing players happy?

I'm a college student, and i host a NL HE cash game twice a week in my suites common room. We play .50/.50 blinds, and everyone usually buys in for 20$ a pop, tho when stacks get deeper, a few players will reload for 40$ or 50$ when they go broke.

We've been playing 2 months now, and i am by far the only real poker player in this group. There are 8 or 9 regular guys, with 4 or 5 kids who attend randomly. There usually ends up being between 300$ and 500$ in the pot at the end of the night, and i will frequently walk away with atleast 1/3, if not more, of whats on the table. Now, i am not tooting my own horn, or saying that I am a world class player because i can consistently run over a .50/.50 home game. This game is extremely soft, filled with weak tight players, calling stations, and perhaps 1 or 2 players who even understand basic poker strategy, such as position, or continuation bets. At best, 1 or 2 other players are up a small amount over the last 2 months, while everyone else is most definetley in the red.

My problem is this: These players are all college students, and for the kids who have lost hundreds of dollars over the last 2 months, it stings for them. Though they have the money to play, they are beginning to realize that they lose their money every single time they sit down, with VERY few exceptions. I need to think of someway to convince these kids to keep coming back for more, or else i will have to look for new players, which i have been attempting, but it seems the kids already playing in my game make up the majority of card players around campus.

I am not a loud, in your face winner... i try my hardest to be as lowkey as possible when cashing out, and for the most part, noone at the game really suspects i am up as much as i am. I'm trying to find a way to keep these kids coming back, because i haven't had to work a day of my college life yet, and i dont intend on starting now.

Thanks in advance guys.