View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Session Review and Forum Searching Tips & Tricks

[ QUOTE ]
I have just one nit to pick. It's actually unnecessary to have quotes around -"Re:" and such. Using -Re:, +AJo, +overcall, or whatever is just as effective, and it saves you 4 key presses. However if you want exactly "misplayed on all streets," you'll have to search for +"misplayed on all streets" using the quotes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, you are correct in that quotes are not always necessary. I use them in 90% of my searches because they will usually weed out a few extraneous posts. In the AJo example, if you just type +AJo you will get some results with the word "major" in the subject line. This is by no means a major problem (no pun intended [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) for most result sets but it could pull in a lot of non-relevant posts for others. You are also correct in that quotes are unnecessary for Re: and and other routine words but I often use them just for consistency's sake. It is also important to note that if you want an EXACT match, you also need to include spaces around the word inside the quotes (e.g. " AJo " NOT "AJo". AJo may not be the best example since this shouldn't be a problem with most hand combo searches however. Thanks for bringing this up!