View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 05:28 PM

Default Re: ask me about eyes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Slim,

I used Visine workplace every day for about 5 years (I know) and now that I have stopped my eyes are red and feel sore/unfortable every day. This has been going on for about 3 years.

I went to an opthalmologist and she determined that I had ocular rosacea, but her treatment has not helped much if at all. I am wondering if the effects of using Visine for that long makes my eyelids look as I have rosacea when it's not the case (I don't have rosacea anywhere else on my face or any allergies).

Anyway, any thoughts or ideas on where I should go from here?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many kinds of Visine drops. If the one you were using does not contain vasoconstrictors (if it doesn't say "gets the red out") then the redness and dryness is probably not from the drops.

Since it's been a long time since you used Visine, the redness and dryness is not from it. Rosacea can have ocular manifestations before the dermatological signs appear so even though your skin is OK now it doesn;t mean you can't have OR. Also, OR can have remissions and flare ups. How long have you tried the treatment regimen from your MD and what is the regimen? WEre you prescribed antibiotic pills?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Slim, the Visine that I used did in fact have vasoconstrictors. I think it has one of the worst chemicals in it, oxymetazoline (not 100% sure that's what it is, I will check that to make sure later).

I have been on treatment for about 6 months. Basically I am doing warm soaks, and rubbing my eyelid margins with baby shampoo morning and night. I basically stopped with the shampoo because it seems to make things worse, but I still do the warm soaks and rub my eyelid margins. I was also put on something from the tetracycline family (might have been doxycycline) to start with but it was a short prescription.

I was also instructed to take a multivitamin and fish and flaxseed oils daily which I had already been doing, but I started experiencing dizzyness/lightheadedness so I stopped taking everything and it has gotten much better. But, now my eyes are much more sore [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Do you know if there are laser treatments for this kind of condition? I know there are for facial rosacea, is there something for ocular rosacea?

Thanks slim