View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 09:14 AM

Default Stud 8- 3rd street/bring-in situations

Alright, I'm new to Stud 8, but I've come to realize that playing any three cards 8 or lower and big pairs is NOT the way to win at this game.

I'll generally play 3 to a straight straight/flush and one gapper type low hands such as (34)5 and (A2)4 regardless of how many low door cards there are.

Suppose you have a two-gapper (24)6 starting hand, or something similar with very little high potential.

With 3's, 5's, or maybe several low door cards out, is it best to lean towards folding when you're acting early? How about once 2 or 3 people with low door cards come into the pot? What about when an ace raises and several lows come in?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is... Hands with not a lot of high potential like 1, 2-gappers or Ace with 2 low cards. How to play them? My take is that I'm competing for low with others and there is little chance for a quality high hand. Is it ever right to fold a (34)7 with many lows behind you or if many lows have called. How about Ace and 2 low cards, but 1 or 2 aces are already somebody's door cards... Unlikely to catch an ace at anytime (according to Todd Brunson), so not too much scooping potential.

How about with split kings or queens such as (K2)K with several low cards behind you (but no Ace)? How about when 2-3 low cards have called? How to play big pairs against 3 or 4 people going low?

It's a game of upcards, right? If I have 3 to a low, and 7 low door cards I need are out, I don't have 20 outs to catch another low, I have 13 outs... not worth playing, right?

Advise appreciated.

-Acoplander1