View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 01:16 PM

Default Re: no-limit capped games??

[ QUOTE ]
i often read that you don't want to play no-limit with a player with a much larger stack

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on how you like to play NL.

I think too many players over-emphasize the notion of "pushing people off a hand" with a big raise. If you hang out in a poker room, you'll hear players say they like no-limit because you can "protect your hand" - which they usually interpret as making huge overbets to try to bully their opponents. Of course, that's not really protecting your hand, but it's a very common mistake. For that reason, some players like a big stack - so they can bully the smaller stacks.

Ed Miller writes about a short stack strategy in Getting Started In Hold'em and you'll find plenty of posts about it. The downside of playing the short stack is that it's not possible to maximize your very best hands. If you are a large stack, you'll be able to extract the maximum from your opponents when you have good cards.

When you're holding the short stack you will often be all-in on the flop. One advantage of this is that when you're all-in you take away your opponent's positional advantage.

I've really glossed this subject and others will be able to give a more complete answer.

[ QUOTE ]

lastly, if i join a $200 max game, can i always replenish to $200 or do i have to wait until i hit zero? i really don't know. seems like people would constantly be refreshing, if so.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will vary by card room, so ask a floor person. Some places will let you keep your stack topped off at $200. Other will only let you rebuy up to $200 when you dip below a set amount, say $100.

I hope that's some help.

Regards,

T