View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Re: The question I ask Xtian evangelists...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The outdated ethics in the Bible are what modern Christians still support. My brother and I had this conversation. He is a born again. He said that if God supported slavery 'he must have his reasons.'

(he was also okay with the rape of slaves since that too was in the Bible.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's seriously disturbing... I thought even the most fundamental of Christians just swept that stuff under the rug... Well, at least he's being consistent, but man, he needs some help...

[/ QUOTE ]

He believe I'm the one who needs help.

I'm still chuckling over the conversation. At least once a year he tries to show me the light. (I usually avoid the conversation because it annoys the whole family but its his duty as a Christian to save my soul.)

So he asks me what problem I have exactly with the Bible. I said its sexist and supports slavery and rape.

He laughed at me. No it doesn't. "I thought you read the Bible?" I said to him. He looked at me with this self-assured look.

I read him a bunch of verses. You could see he was speechless.

"You can't take verses out of context." I asked him to put it into context. He started to say that those were the rules of man. blah blah blah.

"I'm sorry, I thought you said the Bible was the word of God?" He pauses. It is.

"So, these verses about slavery... the word of man or God?" He thinks real hard. "God"

I then showed him how you could rape a slave so long as you sacrificed an animal afterwards. Then I showed him the verse where after invading a land and killing the men you could force a woman to be your wife.

"Things were different then." he says.

"But the Bible is still the unchanging word of God, right?"

"Of course."

"So if I invade a country I can rape a woman and force her to be my wife."

Looooong pause. "Yes."

"Let me get this straight. So you support this? Your fine with the Bible allowing forcible rape and slavery?"

"Yes. God must have his reasons."

It was a fun thanksgiving.