Thread: Black Hawk Down
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Black Hawk Down

[ QUOTE ]
Just saw this again on the telly, was curious what people's thoughts on it are. Its the first Ridley Scott film I saw, only other one I've seen is Gladiator, which I wasn't hugely impressed with.

I think BHD is a terrific film, it has great action without being too Rambo and a very strong cast. The music is superb, to me its a great example of how important the soundtrack is to a movie. It doesn't drag, despite its length, and so many different facets of the battle are shown that it never stops being interesting. Some really great shots in it too(I don't usually notice that sort of thing).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is, IMO, the most accurate war movie ever made (We Were Soldiers is a close second). The special edition has a facinating commentary track by a delta colonel (guy guy in the control room with Sam Shepard), a ranger colonel (played by Tom Seizmore) and the real Matt Eversman (Played by Josh Hartnett), and they go into great detail about the actual events and how that was tranferred to the screen. All of them basically say that this movie is a near perfect recreation of the incident (all things considered. YOu gotta remember that the original battle was just under 30 hours long and had over 100 soldiers participating)

The movie is great in that it is a battle movie. It doesn't ham anything up, it doesn't try to take any poetic liscense a la Apocalypse Now and it doesn't pull any strings. It's a just a straight from the gut battle movie. THe most amazing thing is just like you said, most of the movie is straight action, and yet it doesn't seem overstated and it doesn't feel drawn out.

Oh, and the commentary by the screenwriter is hilarious.