View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Jimmy Carter book controversy

[ QUOTE ]

Your description of the Times article is not fair.... the article seems to be very fair in its treatment of the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem isn't with the article but with the critic it quotes, who said he found all kinds of errors, and "In due course, I shall detail these points."

There's going to be harping about all sorts of little pedantic points, but little engagement with the main arguments, such as Israel's flaunting of universal international opinion that it should give back the conquered areas.

The link provided by elschorcho is a good example. The editorial claims the book is rife with errors, but the example it gives is over what Israel's borders are -- a political dispute, a difference of opinion, not a glaring factual inaccuracy.

One clearly misleading point however is the attempt to enlist Norman Finkelstein in trashing Carter. Finkelstein responds: "It seems Israel's "supporters" have conscripted me in their media lynching of Jimmy Carter. Count me out."

Notorious self-hater Norman Finkelstein continues...

And in case someone wants to what the man himself has to say: Carter responds to inevitable kneejerk calumny