View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Paxil Side Effects

As to this question, I cannot give a definite answer due to lack of information. But we can go through the scenarios.

How long have you been taking Paxil? If you had been taking it for a while then stopped then started 4 days ago. I reccommend that you not stop it and stay on schedule.

However, if you had taken it only a short time then stopped and started 4 days ago. Then I do not think your paxil levels are high enough to make a difference, and stopping/noncompliance is fine.

Just from a pharmacist perspective , 40 mg dosage daily is quite high, espeically for a non-controll release (i'm assuming). Control release in drugs usually means that the body absorbs the drug at even amounts thus you don't get spikes in effectiveness. With all that said, 40 mg is extremely high (not dangerous at all) especially if you do not have prior SSRI (zoloft etc) usage.

Secondly, I am a bit surprised he prescribed paxil for panic disorder? Again, this would be up to doctor's personal assessment. Again this is a result of whether this is caused by internal or external factors.

Lets say depression. Paxil is extremely effective for those who have a chemical imbalance due to internal factors (genetically predisposed or whatever the cause). Some people are externally factored (death of loved one). Usually the drugs are meant for long term usage and meant for the former. With the latter, usually its prescribed and then the dosage is decreased slowly to avoid withdrawl.
Similar to this are the difference between true OCD and OCD personality disorder. ADHD vs ADD. Your assumed panic disorder might factor in.

Also, I cannot see if the nausea or symptom reporting is a result of your own panic disorder or truly happening. Again doctors need to see you up front to determine.

Overall, to summarize, if you have been taking paxil for a long time before this, it is best not to discontinue. If you haven't been taking it for a long time, then discontinuing is ok and contact your doctor. What you have to consider is, if the drug's side effects are worth the elimination of whatever disorder (panic) that you are facing. It seems you panic disorder might have been simply you worrying about your health and panicking causing your doctor to overprescribe. But I have no visible way of telling.

The execedrin question i can answer. excedrin is a combination of aspirin/tylenol/caffiene. There are benefits to this because with combination drugs you get a higher perceived effectiveness without ever reaching dangerous levels in yoru blood. If its anything, its the caffiene thats causing the headaches. If you have been taking this drug a lot, its equivalent to having coffee withdrawl and can be making paxil's side effects seem worse especially whenever u aren't taking the excedrine.

Overall, my gut instinct tells me you had a cancer scare, freaked out a bit and your doctor prescribed something too strong. Its equivalent of me going into a doctor and saying i'm really down on myself (temporary like a bad test score) and he prescribes anti depressants that i really dont need.

But like i said, if you have been taking it for a long time, do not stop. If you haven't, its ok to noncomply. in both cases contact your doctor, i think your dosage is too high.