View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: rduke, please explain!!

I think I said several times that I did not mean that your brain is actually doing complex mathematics. But it is doing some algorithm that must be an approximation of complex mathematics, because it arrives at the correct results. And then you kept repeatedly denying that the brain does calculations. It was frustrating.

And the last time I checked, when you catch a ball, your brain tells your hand to do it, and to do this your brain has to have a plan ahead of time how to accomplish this. That involves prediction. I don't care what the mechanisms are, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if it's mostly a matter of "tracking algorithms" or lookup tables or visual extrapolation or a rapid series of guesses and corrections, or any other algorithm. All of them involve prediction and calculation. If you think you can catch a ball without your brain predicting where it's going to be, try catching it blindfolded.

If you are now agreeing that the brain does calculations, then we have no problem, as that is all I have ever meant to claim. You can approximate extemely complex calculations with very, very simple calculations, and if that's what the brain is doing, then more power to it, because it's often the best way to go (e.g. finite differencing complex differential equations, not that I think that's how your brain does it).

Apologies for the frustration. And there was certainly no intention to set up a strawman.