View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Do I need a new power supply w/ my new Vid Card?

As usual, I pretty much agree w/ goldtoes.

I will digress a tad tho and suggest you take the plunge and try to install the new card yourself....for a couple reasons.

1: A vid card is pretty straight forward (follow manufacturer instructions for driver/software installation....it'll only plug in one way)

2: If you complete the above successfully, and IF you wind up needing another power supply.....it's not any harder (actually easier since there's no drivers to change) to swap to a better power supply. You'll need to take out a few more screws and un/re-plug a few more connectors for a power supply, but there's no software changes at all.

The way I'm looking at it, Geekwhoever will charge you $40 for the vid card...and if you need to call them again for a power supply, that's another $40 (or more?). For a potential $80, I'd say try to save the initial $40 and do it yourself for a confidence booster....worst case scenario you try it and pussy out and call geek* for the same $40 you would have spent anyway.

Seems to be a +EV upside on this one to realize most component repairs are pretty simple, and there's no risk cause worst case scenario, you pay the same price you would have paid, anyway.

Either way is fine....but this is a push/win proposition (no loss possible) if you try it yourself first the way you explained it. Might as well go for the win [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Edit: LOL @ the Stuey/Xmas mod on your avatar...nice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]