View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Stud High - River Play against two players

Given the action on 4th street, I think you can squarely put Seat #2 on one of four hands: trip 8s, Ts over 8s, rolled TTT, or 4 card straight (8,9,T,J seeming the most likely). More interesting, however, is Seat #7's calling two bets cold... not just once but twice! The only hands I can put him on that make any sense at all are trip 3s, rolled-up 666 or 3,4,5,6.

Although I like your betting-out on 5th street, it's not really for the reason you cited inasmuch as I would doubt that Seat #7 could be raised out of the hand now after his 4th street calls unless either you and/or Seat #2 showed marked improvement on 5th street. Since neither of you improved, I think your expectation that Seat #7 would fold to a raise is over-optimistic. However, IMO your bet is a good one because it should give you a better idea regarding Seat #2's and Seat #7's actual holdings. Since neither raise you, I think it makes it less likely that either is holding trips. Thus, I think you now can assume you are up against Ts and 8s or a medium straight draw, and a small straight draw.

Given their bricks on 6th, your bet is OK, although I could see a case being made for checking here and calling one bet if either of them makes it.

I think you ought to bet the river. Inasmuch as there is the possibility they could have put you on a heart flush draw, in addition to As over Js back on 4th street, I'd be a little surprised if either of them would raise you on the river even if they hit straights, and I think there is a good enough chance that one or both of them will pay you off if they only have smaller two pairs, whereas I think it less likely that either would bet into you with only two pairs if you checked.