View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 01:06 AM

Default Fantasy football hedge?

Okay, I'm headed into the last week of the regular season at 8-5; my division rival is 7-4-1. If my rival loses, I'm in the playoffs, but the scenario I have to worry about is if he wins, in which case I need to win as well.

Fortunately, I'm due to play the worst team in the league next week.

The question is who to go with as my starting defense. The format I play in (CBS Sportsline) is fairly favorable to defense, so this is somewhat important.

I don't really have an "incumbent" defense but instead change from week to week based on matchups. I went with the Raiders this week, who did great for me. The options I'm looking at for Week 14 are as follows:

* Bengals, at home versus Oakland.
* Raiders, at Bengals.
* Seahawks, at home versus Cardinals.

Now, here's where it gets (somewhat) interesting. My quarterback position is a mess, since McNabb got hurt and Bledsoe got benched, so my available choices are Matt Leinart and Aaron Brooks. I also have Rudi Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh in my starting lineup, so I'm pretty Bengals-heavy.

What I'm tempted to do is start Leinart at QB and go with the Seahawks defense. The idea is that there's a pretty strong inverse correlation between the performance of Leinart and Seahawks D, so I minimize variance by playing that combination. This is probably desirable because my opponent is bad. I could also accomplish this to some extent by playing the Raiders defense, or by playing the Bengals defense and starting Aaron Brooks.

Given this information, what combination of D and QB would you go with?