View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Laptop for Taking Notes in Class

[ QUOTE ]
Microsoft has a program that's part of office suite called "onennote". They pretty much got it down, except their spell checker sucks.

In law school probably 70% of my class takes notes on their laptop, and thats probably a low number. I never saw it in undergrad though.

Bringing your laptop can be really distracting though, AIM/internet/poker will distract you.

I'm not sure why 1. is a reason to consider using your laptop, rewriting your notes helps you learn it (that's what I do).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll look into that, appreciate it. I neglected to mention that 1) is a reason because I would redo the notes on laptop by reformatting, etc. after class. The only difference is that it would take less time. This past term, it took about 8-10 hours per week.

[ QUOTE ]
consider a Tablet PC. You can write on the screen if you want, or use the keyboard. It would be very difficult for me to take notes on a normal laptop because I am in grad school for math, and I can't just type what the teacher is saying, too many pictures, and then the subscripts and superscripts and funny symbols, ugh.
I write my notes out on engineering paper or on a legal pad, then I rewrite them in a hardback book. I just look for journals in bookstores. Usually I can find them for less than 5 bucks. Its nice cause i know that my notes will stay in good shape for a while to come, and I seem to have to review my notes even after my class is over, for different classes.

Thinkpad Tablet PC Link

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link - I've seen it on campus exactly once. Would you say if that it weren't for all the greek letters and sub/superscripts, you would use the keyboard entirely?

I like the use of the engineering paper - completely forgot about those computation pads.

I was hoping someone would mention LaTeX, freeware available to write in that was specifically made for mathematicians, statisticians, etc. I guess it's not that mainstream.

Official Site
Wiki

One of my friends a few years ago used this entirely in a differential equations class. He was very proficient in typing and managed to keep up in class, but it also helped that he was very smart. If I did get a laptop, I don't see it being difficult to get a handle on it within a week.

This is going to sound a bit absurd but I am majoring in statistics and getting a minor in economics. I thought more people would be using LaTeX, at least 2p2ers.