View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Im not doing as well at HU SNG\'s as I thought I would

Evan - you're right, there's no-one here that I'm aware of that plays at these stakes. We can discuss the theory with you, and would be fascinated to review hand histories and give you food for thought, but we can't give you an idea of how to beat those games.

One question - why play SNGs when you can beat 100/200 cash? As I understand it, winrates in the 1000s+ are not much above break-even point, because the cards have such an impact in the SNG format. One of the main reasons for playing SNG rather than cash at the lower limits is that the rake is so much more destructive in low-limit cash games - that can't be a problem at your stakes.

One suggestion would be to play the new no blind increase structure at Stars - would give you more of a chance to make your edge in deepstack play tell.

As for shortstack play - my approach when I am shortstacked or when the blinds are high is to push with any Ace, any two cards T or higher and any pair, adding some more K-high hands and SC's in as I get more desperate. Always be the aggressor - especially if the blinds are high and you have a chip lead, however slight. Most won't be willing to call an all-in for the tournament without at least good, if not great, cards.

There are systems you can look to - ICM, Sklansky-Chubukov, Sage - but you need adapt these to how you tight/loose your opponent's calling range vs a jam might be.

As a final point - if you really would prefer to discuss with high-limit players, try the high-stakes NL forum.