View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Help me find a place in Vegas

The Manhattan condos look nice, as do the Park Ave places nearby. But I'm struggling with a concept. The cheapest 3BR3BA 1600 sqft Manhattan condo I see listed is $500K. The only 1800sqft Manhattan unit (the largest they have) I see listed on realtor.com is $620K. Now...there's nothing WRONG with the Manhattan condos, best I can tell, but they're still just nice low-rise condos, 5 miles from Mandalay Bay. Why would you want to pay more for a condo than an equivalent house right next door? I understand the highrise condos near the strip being that "location, location, location" thing. But out here in my neck of the woods, you can buy my neighbor's house for $359K and have 4BR and 2000sqft plus a 2-car garage on top, with the equivalent (and I think slightly better) location.

So what's the allure of painfully expensive condos far from the strip? I understand the $200K condos, 'cause those are the cheapest way for someone to own their own home. I understand the $600K condos near the strip...location. Why the $400-500K sorta condos 5 miles out?