View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 River

OK, first time in a week I'm not dead so let me take a stab at this post:

I think I said on the flop that we bet 1/2 the pot or so, call a CR and call the turn/bet if checked to. Great, according to plan so far. We get a pretty bad, but not horrible river and the BB checks. What does that tell us?

Well, there's very little chance he has a flush, because that doesn't usually check this card. He didn't flop a straight (I hope, because this would be the worst possible way to play it) and this isn't a hand that had us beat on the turn unless it was exactly 97/Q9. So, when we have him beat now (which is usually), it's probably with something like A9, and we need to figure out what he will call. I think that figure is in the 600-800 range, depending on what looks more like a last street bluff (I've bet exactly 520 there a few times) and go with whatever I decide is worth it. Also, I take a bunch of time off the clock when I do.

BTW, if you do bet something in this range, I think you can fold to a quick push, because one pair does not play this way and if you want to call a CR you have to put him on a three street bluff with absolutely nothing.