View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Biggest Downswing of my Career - Advice Needed

As Bob T intimated, don't overdo the statistics. You can compile "perfect" stats and still be a godawful player...focus on your own decision-making and on incorporating reads into your play, and the stats will take care of themselves. Keep in mind that CallMeIshmael used a compilation of many winning small stakes players to come up with those numbers, and that there were often pretty wide disparities among those players.

Secondly, and I don't want to open up a whole "the sky is falling" panic, the games have gotten noticeably tougher over the past month. At least, they have in my own experience...I'd grown used to whipping up on the godawful players at Party for an insane win rate, but in the post-UIGEA world I'll admit that I've been struggling to adapt to the tighter, more passive full ring games on Full Tilt and PokerStars. I don't know if this applies to you or not, but I'd imagine that a lot of long-term winners are suddenly finding out that we aren't really as good as we thought we were.

The standard advice is always true...read these forums, post some of your hands, and participate actively in the discussions. Review your sessions, not just your stats, and look carefully at the individual hands. If it helps, keep notepad or even a pen & paper handy while you're playing, and jot down a quick reminder whenever you run into a difficult or interesting decision during a hand. That, of course, is assuming that you aren't already an active member of the forum who created a new screenname for this post. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Every player here has gone through something similar to what you are now, or if they haven't yet then they will. Take some time off if that will help clear your mind, or maybe change things up and give O8 a brief shot or something. Just remember that you've obviously been doing something right all this time in order to build that bankroll up. Probably as not as right as you could have done, but none of us are perfect. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]