View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: 10 Best and Worst Video Games of All Time on MTV

[ QUOTE ]
That ten worst list is reasonable, going on the assumption that we are talking about American releases (good god some of the early NES games in Japan were terrible. Never mind all of the bootleg games.) Zero Wing should not be on there, though -- it's a standard late 80s horizintal shooter with amazing Engrish, but that does not make it one of the worst games ever. (Bubsy 3D is, though. One of the two games I have ever played that gave me motion sickness.)

That top ten list sucks, though. Zelda:OoT is reasonable (although I wouldn't put it #1), and so are SF and Tetris (I would be using different versions of those games, though). RE4 and Halo I'm not thriled with either, but I can at least see an argument that we'll still be talking about those games two console generations from now. But Metal Gear Solid, FFVII, and Tecmo Super Bowl? Ugh. (I also hate it how many people talk about Tecmo Super Bowl (which was an SNES game) when they're really talking about the original Tecmo Bowl (the original NES game). Gah.) And where the hell is Deus Ex? That is pretty much the best game ever made, and it doesn't even get a mention. If I had to perform an emergency operation on this list, I would replace those three games with Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment (which is the best RPG ever made), and one of Doom or Quake (normally they shouldn't be up there with the other games, but they really manage to trandscend themselves somehow).

I would also give a special mention to Takeshi's Challenge as the best 'good bad' game ever. I do not know what is more amusing -- the fact that such a patently absurd game was made in the mid 80s or the fact that the statements the game and the author makes are still revelant today, twenty years later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good analysis. I do think that FF7 is defensible. FF6 would definitely not be...in lists like this, breaking new ground counts for a lot. FF6 broke almost no new ground, FF7 did (even if it was just graphics and pretty FMV).

I love Deus Ex and agree that it is one of my personal favorites, but for some reason it's rarely on lists like this. The atmosphere on that thing was amazing...I really want to go back to that world. Side note: Does Deus Ex 2 do the job?

Metal Gear Solid I've never been big on. I played 1 and 2. They start out good, but as the games progress and you start seeing more and more of the long radio conversations and cut-scenes, it gets unbearable. The story is horrible. I'll give you this quote from part 1: "Love can bloom at any time, even on the battlefield." And I rest my case.

Planescape I loved while playing it, but afterwards I felt kinda empty. It did not end satisfactorily at all; the "protagonist has amnesia" stories rarely do. Exploring that world and talking to the people was amazing, but ultimately there was not enough "game" in the game.