View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 02:50 PM

Default Re: pot odds question

[ QUOTE ]
Situation 1:
I have a draw to the nuts. I have to call a $20 bet now, and if I make my hand I will win $80 currently in the pot plus my opponent's $20 bet on 5th street. Therefore, the pot odds($80) + implied odds($20) are $100:$20 = 5:1. The $20 I put in the pot on 5th street to call is not at risk because I will only call if I make my hand, so it is excluded from the calculation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Calling with the nuts is definately leaving money at the table.

[ QUOTE ]
Situation 2:
Same as above, but there is a pair on board. Now, I am suspicious that my opponent might have trips. Because of tells and what not, I decide there is only an 80% chance of winning if I make my hand. How do I calculate the pot odds now?

[/ QUOTE ]
[80*0.8 + 20*0.8 - 20*0.2]:20
76:20

[ QUOTE ]
b) I risk $20 now and $20 on 5th street to win $80 in the pot now plus my opponents $20 bet on 5th street, giving me odds of $100:$40 = 2.5:1.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is incorrect. Becuase it's not taking into account any of the probabilities given. This is just the effective odds of a calldown and isn't taking any implied odds at all into consideration. Basically it's not correct since you're more likely than your opponent to win the last two BBs going into the pot and this calc isn't including that.