View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Flop B

1) Do you fold, call, or raise (and why)? If you raise, to what amount? Putting aside a fold for the time being, there are certainly merits to both calling and raising so please spend some time on your thought process here.

I think our Hero's t140 bet looks like a standard continuation bet, so the villain may just be trying to steal the pot with nothing. It's also possible the villain is semi-bluffing w/a flush draw or straight draw, and his CR is aimed at forcing us to check behind him on the turn if he doesn't make his hand, so he can get a free card on the river. Or the villain may have caught a piece of this, possibly with a draw, too.

Folding here is not an option, as the pot is laying almost 4 to 1 odds, and I think we're ahead here the vast majority of the time. If we reraise, we're committing at least 1/4 of our remaining stack, and building a huge pot. If our reraise is called by the villain, and a scare card comes down on the turn, then we're in a real quandry if the villain leads with a big bet that leaves him pot committed. These are the main reasons I'm against raising.

If we call, and the villain does have a made hand that we're ahead of, such as an overpair or tpgk, then there's a good chance he fires another round on the turn. This is good. The biggest benefits of calling is that we keep the pot size down, and keep our hand disguised. Of course the main argument against calling is that there are several danger cards which could hurt us on the turn, since our bottom 2 pair is vulnerable.

2) His range of possible hands is obviously pretty huge but if you care to speculate feel free?

With a range this large, I'm going to start by eliminating certain hands. I don't think villain defends his blind with a junk hand like 95. It's highly improbable that the villain has 55 or 77, since there are only two of each left in the deck.

As for the hands he may hold, he could have: A5+, K9, Q9, J10, J9s, J8s, 109s, 66, 88+,108s, 98s, 87s, 86s, 76s, 65s

3) If you call or raise and he calls, do you have a plan for future streets?

If the villain bets the turn, I'm probably calling, unless a danger card falls, at which point I'll reevaluate. If the villain checks the turn, I'll lean towards betting, depending on what cards falls.