View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 04:27 AM

Default Re: FTP 30/60: C/R\'ed on river

One big reply:

[ QUOTE ]
Not once did I consider making this play with a hand like 88.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought of it and done it a couple times. It hasn't worked a single time. But, I sure felt smart for thinking about it. Sorta. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know you Steve, but youre probably a good winning player...

[/ QUOTE ]

The jury is most definitely still out on that one. I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm still not sure whether or not I'm in over my head. We'll see.

[ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you cap 77+ in this spot pf?

[/ QUOTE ]

85-90% of the time, yes. Sometimes I end up just calling, but it depends. If I've been capping frequently, then I'd definitely cap 77+; if I haven't capped at all, I might be more inclined to just call. Then there are the times where I know I'm against someone who's capable of going off post-flop, so I try and pick-up the extra value post-flop. And sometimes I just feel like being sneaky.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind your call/call/raise line except I'd want a better kicker since I think he'd realize the line when he saw it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, I'd agree about the kicker. However, I felt his 3-betting range was wide enough to justify the line. Also, I should note that I didn't plan on call/call/raise; it was only after the flop landed that I settled on that. If the flop had been slightly different, i.e. containing a flush draw, I would have played the hand differently.

[ QUOTE ]
and fold most worse made hands that he bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a fine result. I can't quantify it (and it may be non-existant), but I think there's a lot of inherent value in winning pots without a showdown. In a game of incomplete information, I would think that any information you can avoid sharing works in your favor.

[ QUOTE ]
So I think if you're going to call a checkraise, then betting the river might not even be +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly hadn't even thought of this until you posted (so, I'm glad you decided to chime in). After thinking about it, I think you may have a very valid point.

[ QUOTE ]
This is an interesting river decision against a thinking player who views you as a thinking player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't know whether he actually views me as a thinking player, or just an over-aggro donk.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm glad I ended up posting this hand, as it's given me something to think about, namely how to balance the possible value in taking down pots without a showdown vs. putting myself in the position to get outplayed, which I clearly was this hand.

Thanks again,
Steve