View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 02:57 PM

Default My idea/plan for a Poker Roadtrip.... any thoughts? (kinda long)

I have this idea for a poker road trip and wanted to get some thoughts. A little background first...

Personal: I'm in my mid 20's and have owned two companies over the last several years. The current project that I'm 100% involved in I am in the process of selling in order to move onto to other career paths and work for a larger operation. I have a B.S. in Marketing, and will be re-locating to San Diego when I'm ready to do so. I have a few job offers there that can be postponed. Basically, as of December I have no commitments. My lease is up, business will be sold, job can be postponed or started in Jan, phasing out of a relationship etc.

Poker: I've been playing for about 5 years, and seriously for about 1.5 years. I've spent a lot of time reading and studying the game, and logging in practice hours. I still have a huge way to go for where I want to be with poker, but just this last 6 months I've seen a complete improvement and really feel things clicking. For example, after reading HOH I & II twice through, MTTs are making much more since and the results show. I have not won a HUGE tourney yet, but making some great cashes and progress. With that said, I still need to log in more time and practice.

Road Trip Idea: I've done lots of traveling, but always for a weekend or week etc. I've always wanted to go on a road trip across the US by myself camping/staying with friends etc. I think 1-2 months would be ideal. My gut is telling me that this will be one of the only times in my life I can actually budget out this time to do so -- and the timing does seem rather perfect right now. So turning it into a 'poker road trip' if you will... What I mean is using the time to really hone in with no other distractions. No distractions with work, significant other, school etc. I could have the time to really dedicate to crunching through many more critical books, play in cash games across the US with different crowds each night, log in some serious online hours via the laptop, and possibly meet several other 2+2ers along the way . At the same time being completely relaxed with visiting new areas and really seeing the country... I love that type of travel.

I’m wondering if any of you have any thoughts or suggestions… would you all agree that having the concentrated time would be a great way to take my game to a next level? Any input would be appreciated.