View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 PM

Default CUBS: sign Derosa and Blanco

Just when I thought the Cubs were making the right moves...

The Cubs signed Mark Derosa to a 3 year, 13 million dollar deal. Now, when I said they would be foolish to not sign a 2b this offseason, I didn't mean Derosa; and that's an awful lot to pay for the lesser half of a platoon:

Career vs righties: 260/.316/.366 (The Riot or Cedeno could have done that).
Career vs Lefties: 306/.367/.497 (NICE!)

He did manage a .278/.342/.404 line vs. righties last season...If he can keep that up it is an excellent signing. Texas is a significantly better hitter's park than Wrigley, but that is essentially entirely because left-handed hitters do far better in Texas. Wrigley favors righties (righty power especially) and is a pitchers park when a lefty steps in, while Texas favors lefties over righties.

However, when DeRosa signed, he said the following, according to sporsline.com: "They deserve a winner. Chicago deserves a winner. Hopefully, I can come in there and provide leadership in the clubhouse and be a character guy and command respect."

Anybody who uses the term winner non-sarcastically twice in one day should be fined, and he used them in back to back sentences.

Derosa seems to be an above average defensive 2b, but he has only played 114 games at the position in his whole career. However, he has about 137 games of average D at short, suggesting it is accurate.

In all seriousness, this contract is a gamble. Adding in his solid D at about a bazillion positions, his VORP + RAR (defensive VORP, more or less) was over 40 last season; if he can average 30 per year this contract is a bargain. But if he plays like he did in 04 and 05...