View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Re: How are the police allowed to do this?

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't read the rest of the replies.

So the police are on higher alert in that area due to criminal activity. They see a car come through and notice what makes the police suspicious:

[ QUOTE ]
They noticed the driver "looking very suspicious" as he looked back and forth at the police several times.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this time, it alerts them and they begin following this car. Now, they can't just stop him because he looks "suspicious," but they can follow him for as long as they want and wait until he violates a traffic law, which gives them probable cause to make a traffic stop. This came when they noticed he didn't have a front license plate, which is probably a law for residents of this area? Pennsylvania doesn't have a front license plate law, so I don't know, but I'm assuming that it is standard for cars registered in that state. They could have followed him and stopped him for anything like not using a turn signal, not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, or any thing else that is a slight violation just for the probable cause to check out what is going on.

Police asked for his driver's license, which is standard, where he didn't give it to them until being asked 3 more times. This alerts the police more, don't you think? He is being more suspicious. If he didn't have anything to hide, why would he be acting this way? I'm not saying he is/was hiding anything, but he could have just came forth with his driver's license and that would be the end of it. I highly doubt that the police knew who he was beforehand, and even if they did, it's still standard procedure what they did up to this point.

The police ask him to get out of his car, being on higher alert, they probably want to search his vehicle or search him. It doesn't say why, so I'm just guessing.

Weary then became more verbally combative and then pushed an officer away. They gave him a chance to put his hands on the vehicle and when he took a step toward the officers, they shot him with a taser.

It's very standard. I don't know why you, OP, think they did something wrong.

Just because he is black has nothing to do with it. Don't be judgmental. If this happened to any other person (white), you wouldn't be starting this thread. And just because he is a pro football player it doesn't mean he has immunity to the laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if a police car pulls in behind you, the best strategy is just to pull over and stop. That way you won't violate any traffic laws and he can't pull you over?