View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Checkup: J8s from the BB

I may be biased from playing mostly 6 max but I highly recommend people try the c/c here against players from fish - pretty good here. Without substantial evidence,I would say a decent amount of my profit (uhhh when I was a winning player and not a tournament jockey) came from inducing bluffs on hands like this. Here is my philosophy:

Villian's hand REEKS of 2 unimproved over cards with a spade , next most likely being a pp higher than the board with a spade like 99 or TT. A big pair is also possible but unlikely unless he is quite passive. You have shown that you have at least a pair, maybe 2 pair or a small flush OR a flush draw yourself. When you bet on the river, he will probably call with a higher pp (TT, maybe JJ if passive, anythign else he would raise again somewhere we'll say), an unlikely better 8 but will almost definitely fold any high cards besides AK. However if you check, he will probably check behind a better 8, possible a 9, TT or MAYBE JJ (I wouldn't count on that). Yet if he has something like QJ unimproved with a spade, he might take a shot at the pot whereas he will NEVER call with this hand. By betting, you let him call with better hands that me might've checked whereas by checking he migh bet hands he would have folded. When you check the river, he might think "OK, this guy had a flush draw so I'm going to bet and try to take it"; remember most of these players don't read hands. Even if you were reading hands, you might Hero on a missed flush draw. However, if you were on a flush draw your best play would be to bet because you basically have no chance of winning if he checks or bets. This topic is covered in TOP and I constantly apply it to this type of situation. For instance, lets say you were betting a flush draw with As and an unpaired low card. If you pair your low card on the river, you should no longer bet because you would were going to bluff on the river with just your A high, now that you have an actual hand you should not value bet it but call a bet instead. I am not sure how much this works at full ring but I know for sure that it is a money move in 6 max. Please correct me if I am egregious.

EDIT: I didn't even factor in a possible c/r on the river but this player will likely only do this with the nut flush.