View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Flop

On the way home, I kept thinking about the hand and I came up with a line that I think might have some merit that most people won't think about. I think our hand has the potential to win a small pot and quickly become second best and lose a big pot.

Flop: We bet 130.
Opponent raises to 450.
Action: We call:
Pot has $1,070

The line that scares me the most which I stated in my original post is:
If he check-raise...This is what I would do if I were him with a flush draw or straight draw or pair with a gut draw. The reason is that as the opponent you have us covered and chips. And if a scare card comes on the turn then I want to be able to make a big enough bet that will scare my opponent into folding even if it doesn't make my hand. So if I were him, I'd probably raise 4-4.5x the size of our bet depending on the size of our bet. If I were him, I'd want us to fear that we're going to have to be ready to go broke.

Turn: Any card.
Action to me: Opponent bets 550.
Action: We call.
Pot has $2,170

River: Any card.
Action to us: Opponent bets 700.
Actio??

We have 1450 left and unless we caught a 7 or a 5, there is little chance that we are still ahead. And even then we could be behind a better full house.

On the other hand, if the opponent bets this way he could still fold on the river with a chip stack of $1465.

The point being is that you won't know where you're at the whole time. Because everybet looks like the nuts or a broken draw. So every decision will be difficult.

So if I was playing against an aggressive good opponent like Daniel Negreanu or Gigabet. I'd take a line that would preserve my chips and try and induce a bluff from my opponent:

On the flop:
Action to me: opponent checks.
Action: I check behind.

The idea is to see a turn card. And if it's a good card to either bet or raise. And if it's a scare card then to simply call. And then do the same on the river.

Scares cards being: Any heart, 9,8,6
Good Cards being: AKQJT75234

For example:
Turn: scare card
Action to me: My opponent bets half the pot.
Action: I call.

Turn: NON-Scare Card.
Action to me: My opponent checks.
Action: I bet half the pot.

Turn: NON-Scare Card.
Actoin to me: Opponent bets 1/3 of the pot.
Action: I raise 3x his bet, so he won't be getting the proper odds to draw to an 8 or 9 outter.

Turn: Non-Scare Card.
Action to me: Opponent bets 1/2 the pot.
Action. I call. Since there is no point in raising since his bet won't give him the proper odds to draw at a flush or straight draw or pair wiht a gut draw. And a raise will only hurt me if I'm behind.

River: I call nearly any bet.

So I think this line could have merit against an aggressive player, who plas the flop well. You're inducing your opponent to bluff if he doesn't have a hand. And even if he makes a hand, then you lose fewer chips. Most importantly by keeping the pot small, you make it difficult for your opponent to bluff you out of the pot, since he has you covered.