View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 10:28 AM

Default Re: should i mkaybe semibluff somewhere or is this great success

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would put the villain on same hand range as you do (I just needed to check that we are on the same range).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I was making it as tight as humanly possible just to make a point. Not many people 3bet tighter than this, but a lot of people 3bet looser so this is sort of an upper bound on his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think that it’s still quite tight to 3-bet EP raiser with 99 or AJ? If that’s your opinion of tight play, how loose are you? I would say that range you gave us is average players 3-betting range against EP raiser. AJo is pretty much garbage against EP raiser (you can call with AJs). If you add 99 to the range you gave, according to Sklansky and Malmuth, that’s considered loose, but then again what do they know. Or are you saying that 99 is the thin line between “as tight as humanly possible” and loose? Like I earlier pointed out, this is unknown player to us and everybody else respected his reraise, so how are you able define this player as a pretty loose?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like you said, those Pokerstove percentages won’t tell the whole truth. I believe those apply only if we are able to see all the five cards and the problem is that there are many times that we don’t have enough odds to proceed further than the flop (like probably this hand described above).

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but you also stand to make money on average when you do hit one of your cards and it's good so that mitigates this concern somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my previous post I already explained this and why especially A kills the action quite often if we’re not still behind.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that playing this hand here with EV+ requires really good skills on the flop and on later streets and quite many players at these limits don’t have that yet and they would be better off if they would lay this hand down here preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I don't agree that a learning player should make clearly -EV folds just because they're learning. It creates bad habits, and if you're going to fold hands you should play you're giving yourself less practice and therefore further stunting your learning process. Second, raising and folding for one bet preflop is so damaging to your table image that even in the rare occasions a call is -EV I call anyway just so people won't get any ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it's valid reason to make the call, just to get the experience about these tough situations on later streets, even IF this play is EV- to you. At these nano-limits, you don’t have a table image, 99% of players at this level are not making any notes of how the opponents are playing.